Search

Pages

Newborns: Stuffy Noses

I know this post seems so simple or like people shouldn't even need to know this but even though I'm a nurse I didn't know for sure what was the best way to handle my babies first stuffy nose! It's different when it's your own child! So if suctioning your newborns nose makes you nervous like it did me, here are some simple instructions and tips.

When you bring your baby home you may notice they sound congested at times. This is totally normal per my pediatrician. What this post is about is what to do if your newborn gets an actual cold or stuffy nose.

Kaley got her first cold or stuffy nose at about 5 or 6 weeks old. When she would drink the congestion would get so much worse. At times she would sound terrible. I was scared to use the suction bulb on her even though I'm a nurse ha ha. I put it off because I really didn't want to do it, knowing it would probably make her mad. And I thought they recommend you not to do it much anyways. But when she started to look like it was making her breathing harder or more difficult I had to do it. So I did, it helped a little but didn't totally clear it up.

 
To Suction
 
1. Squeeze air out of bulb
2. Insert tip to hole of nostril (don't stick the tip up in the nose)
3. Release the bulb creating suction


I called my pediatrician and she recommended getting saline nose drops and using those before suctioning. Also to limit suctioning to 2-3 times a days. Suctioning can actually make the problem worse if you do it too much.

 
So I purchased the saline drops. It is from Little Remedies and is called Little Noses. It can be used as a spray or drops but in a newborn you use it as drops. It is totally safe in newborns. Saline is basically sodium in water so its not really a medication. All you do is just drop a drop or two in each nostrils which helps soften the congestion and discharge (aka boogeys..ugh that makes me feel nasty saying that lol) and also helps when you suction their nose out. It make sure you aren't dry suctioning which if you do too much can make there little nose sore! So don't over-do-it.

 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment