Search

Pages

Newborns: Help! Milk is coming out my baby's nose!

I have a 5 week old baby today and I remember that even though I knew in my mind milk coming out of a newborns nose was normal. It still kinda disturbed me and I know it did my husband. He did not know it was normal so it scared him. I remember one time his dad was holding Kaley when it happened and he was like "here take her", "is that normal?". It scared him.
For all the first time moms I'm here to tell you, milk coming out of their nose while they are newborns is normal per research online I have done and also per my pediatrician. The throat and nose are connected and sometimes when they spit up the milk will exit via the mouth and/or nose. Even though seem scary, do not fear :-) The first time it happens to you I'm sure it will scare you a little but just remember it's ok and normal!

Tips
1.Feed your baby will his/her head elevated above their stomach. Do not feed your baby flat. It can cause the baby to choke and also if your formula feeding it can lead to ear infections
2. Burp your baby every 1-2oz
3. Keep infant upright after feeding
4.Try to feed your infant before he/she starts frantically crying. This can cause them to take in a lot of air while feeding and try to drink too fast




Want to read more? Here's an article about why babies spit up through their nose
http://www.livestrong.com/article/223503-why-do-babies-spit-up-through-their-nose/
http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/bottle-feeding-9/spitting-up

-----
P.S. I'm not a doctor and this is just my opinion and based on information I've read or have been told. If you have any questions regarding your newborn please contact your pediatrician! Your pediatrician should be your source of reliable information regarding your newborn

Do you have any other tips or any experiences with spit up? Please share by commenting below!!




0 comments:

Post a Comment